Friday, September 18, 2009

The Sun is Shining


Warning: The following blog is not meant to be a bragging post (ok, maybe a little). But really folks, I simply am amazed at my running progress.

I've struggled for so long with my running. Only a few short months ago, I was seriously doubting my ability to run 3 miles let alone an entire marathon after a 2.4 mi swim and a 112 mile bike. It's as if someone turned the dimmer switch on the dining room light ever so slowly. The next thing you know the room is bright and you didn't even noticed when or how it happened.

So in a very fitting way, I went running at 5:30 am this morning (a first for me--I'm not much of a morning exercising). It was dark, the stars were shining, and a fog hung in the cool air. And I ran; I ran as the sun rose and the fog disappeared. It felt good; I felt good. I ran for 12 miles, only walking at each mile interval to drink some fluids. I checked my pace at each mile interval, I (just about) had a negative split for each consecutive mile and my total time was just shy of 2 hours. When I finished, the sun was shining; I was shining with my personal best.

The details:

Mile 1/ 10:58/ 131 bpm
Mile 2 /10:19/ 144 bpm
Mile 3/ 10:12/ 146 bpm
Mile 4/ 10:18/ 149 bpm
Mile 5/ 10:01/ 150 bpm
Mile 6/ 9:54/ 151 bpm
Mile 7/ 9:49/ 150 bpm
Mile 8/ 9:44/ 153 bpm
Mile 9/ 9:42/ 154 bpm
Mile 10/ 9:28/ 157 bpm
Mile 11/ 9:36/ 160 bpm
Mile 12/ 9:12/ 166 bpm

Total time: 1:59:19
Avg pace: 9:56
Avg HR: 150 bpm

Hey folks, I just discovered that I can actually run! How about that?

4 comments:

Calyx Meredith said...

Well done indeed! What a great time to get a confidence boost too, eh? Yay!

IronWaddler said...

Your training is rocking!!!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Those are some awesome splits. I've struggled with swimming the same way you have struggled with running it seems. I like that dimmer switch analogy!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Hey there! Thanks for the comment regarding Grease Monkey Wipes. The founder of the company is actually on the left (Erin). We are wearing the cycling jerseys. FYI--I'm wearing a women's large. It was a tad baggy, but I loved the length and cut of it. Plenty of room to beathe. If I was ordering, I'd probably go with a medium for myself. Small would be a little snug for me! You can order at greasemonkeywipes-dot-com!

Thanks--Carrie